Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Heart Orchids

I can't give you one reason. I have probably three hundred. But I will give you three reasons why I love them! 


1.  They look tropical without looking out of place
2.  Yet they still give off that Zen kinda vibe
3.  You can get them in almost any color therefore they are SO easy to put in any/every room.


Which is exactly my goal... I would like every single room in my home to have an orchid in it. At first i was thinking that it would get redundant and look a little-eh for lack of better words-STUPID.  So I decided to do a little research!


Orchid; coming from the greek word "órkhis," means literally, testicle. (hmmm, now I am definitely having second thoughts) because the root resembles just that. 


Orchids are thought to be the second largest family of flowering plants. 


YEY! this fact is what saved my idea. That sentence translated to me as one word- VARIETY! 


So I start you off with my homemade simple white orchid.  This orchid has literally no coloring to it except the white of the flower and the green of the stem, meaning I can put it in whatever room i feel needs it at the time. (I am totally guilty of moving my decorations around sporadically)  


BUT! Before I show you, I have to tell you how I got the idea to make my own orchid!  


First of all, because I see all of these deliciously simple potted faux orchids at Target/Walmart and they are SO overpriced! But second, and most important, because the vase found me.  


So there I was, perusing my local waterfront mission (thrift store) and I happened to wander over to the clothing side.  I'm not sure why because I rarely ever find anything worth pulling off the racks, but today I got lucky!  Between two wonderfully hideous mannequins upon a rickety display table, was this gorgeous vintage bottle.  i could find any information on the bottle itself, but it had the original top on it (rusted shut).  I couldnt pry myself away from its curves and thick glass!  when i stepped back to let my eyes wander on it a bit, what did i find next to it? sand.  decorators sand on sale for $1. sold. I instantly saw my masterpiece.  The bottle was $3 and the most expensive part was the orchid stem that I found at Walmart for a whole $5. I could've searched for a better deal but I was so anxious to get this baby home and on my dresser/tv stand/kitchen counter ( I still havent found its permanent home) I couldnt help myself.  So here it is. 


Voilà





So, whaddya think?  

No comments:

Post a Comment